Saturday, January 16, 2016

Silver Archive #2 - Water and Sand Trails - Bandon Oregon


During the Summer of 2015 we (Joy, Sabrina, Hunter and I) travelled to Oregon for a family visit. For the return leg, we decided to drive down the Oregon coast. Joy and I were excited to go back to Bandon to take some photographs, something  we enjoyed the last time we were on the Oregon coast back in 2004.

While Joy shot with our Canon 6D, I had dragged my Hasselblad 500c/m down to the beach. We were fortunate to have a low tide in the morning, and very few people and dogs had walked on the beach (yet). I will share other shots later, but I focused on the Sea stacks, the puddles of water, etc... As I walked around I saw some interesting patterns left by the receding water and burned a frame or two.

After I had gotten home and developed my film, and made a contact sheet, what caught my eye was how these two images appeared on the contact sheet and I saw that if I flipped the order of the images, I might have an interesting diptych were ones imagination carries the trajectory of the patterns to a reflective pool of water meeting in the middle between the two images.

So I set about printing both images at the same time so that the tones etc... would be as consistent as possible.  I also opted to use some old stock of warm tone paper, namely J&C Polywarmtone - which is very similar to the old loved Forte Polywarmtone.  I printed the images 7x7" square, and mounted them in a 14x24 matt.

Technical Information:
Hasselblad 500c/m   80mm Zeiss Planar
Ilford FP4+ Film / PMK Pyro Developer
J&C Polywarmtone paper / Ansco 130 Developer
Selenium Toned

No comments:

Post a Comment