Sunday, January 3, 2016

Every Picture Tells A Story - Silver Archive - A Beginning

While Rod Stewart made an extremely popular album with the title "Every Picture Tells A Story" in 1971, this is not a blog about Rod or music, but rather to set the stage  of my return to blogging...

One of the purposes of my blog was to share my photographs and to share my thoughts about photography. At first this worked out pretty good, and I made a few posts, but it became kind of like being on the radio.... you can talk, but you feel you are not talking to anyone, and conversation, seems at best limited.

Over the past year I have been posting on Facebook, mostly iPhone images from my various excursions, and posted about daily adventures, photographic and non photographic. It has been fun... mostly with very little real writing - but some rudimentary conversations were enabled with my friends and within certain groups, which was one of my goals.

Facebook met a lot of needs and allowed me to share some of my results from the darkroom, as I could snap a quick photo with my iPhone as a final print was floating in the fixer tray etc...

While this was satisfying in some ways, I have images in my past, that are ensconced on my web page, that I would like to share. I also want to tell a story about that image - some what similar to Ansel Adams'  Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs. While I do not compare my self what so ever to this great American Master, however, I found  reading the story behind each image to be very interesting and provides a second story to these photographs, both the iconic images as well as newer or less well known images. I am sure that if Ansel were an educator in this day and age, he would be using the '40 Photographs' model and using all of the internet/social media tools to share his images, and to tell the story behind each one.

Silver Archive.  This is what I would like to start out with. I have been taking and printing Silver Gelatin images for just about 20 years now. I would like to start with these images first... I may begin to include some digital/iPhone images that I have accumulated over the 10 years of digital photography... I will need to come up with a good name for this - so stay tuned. My objective is to do a short piece and share an image a week for the year 2016. This will mean about 52 images. I may publish more than one in a week, and there may be a week where I miss, but by December 31 of 2016, I hope to have shared the story behind 52 images...

Wish me well!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment