Saturday, January 16, 2016

Silver Archive #1 - Working on the Railroad - Virginia City Nevada





Growing up with European Parents I always had a fascination with Railroads. As a native of the western U.S., railroads played a huge role in the movement of folks to our states. Besides watching any number of TV shows in the 60's and early 70's, there were the inevitable westerns with a depot and a steam locomotive. I will not even begin to talk about Petticoat Junction. :-)

Moving forward to 2014 - I was on a short vacation/photography trip to western Nevada and eastern California and one of my stops was to go to Virginia City and check out one of terminus' of the famous Virginia and Truckee Railroad. I found the small yard and approached one of the guys working that day, and asked if I could take some pictures. Since I was not doing 'commercial' work they agreed to allow me to walk around and take a few photographs. Kevin and Dan were working on the steam locomotive and on the tracks near the water tower, but were ready to call it a day. I asked if they would mind posing by the locomotive.

The idea to have them pose with the locomotive came to me as I recalled a book that I received a long time ago by Kinsey Photographer, titled The Locomotive Portraits. The book was filled stunning large format images made in the Pacific Northwest of different Logging work, and always had the crew standing next to a locomotive.


Unfortunately I was working in the harsh Nevada sun, in the summer, at mid-day, and not in the soft light of an overcast day in Washington or Oregon. Never the less I am quite happy with the result. I did send both Kevin and Dan a copy of the images, which I printed on 11x14 paper and mounted on 16x20 board.




Technical Stuff:
Camera:              Canham MQC5x7
Lens:                   180mm or 240mm Sironar ( I do NOT take notes)
Film/Dev:            Ilford FP4+ film developed in PMK Pyro
Paper/Dev:          Adox MC110 developed in Ansco 130 developer
                            Slightly toned with Selenium

No comments:

Post a Comment